37 Jefferson Avenue

20 unit apartment building built in the early 1960’s.

 

First surveyed as a portion of Montgomery Township as designated on the first survey of Congress Lands made in May 1799 by John Mathews and Ebenezer Buckingham, United States Surveyors.

 

Sold by the US government authorized by Thomas Jefferson, President, to Seth Harding of New London, Conn. Feb. 20, 1802 in accordance with a Feb. 18, 1801 act of Congress offering grants of land to "refugees from the British Provinces of Canada and Nova Scotia", attested by James Madison, Secretary of State.

 

A complete list of transfers is available; highlights include:

 

Sold by William Bambrough to The State of Ohio March 19, 1845 for use as grounds for Ohio's Lunatic Asylum

 

Sold by the State of Ohio authorized by Rutherford B. Hayes, Governor, to William S. Sullivant May 2, 1870

 

Sold by Orestes A.B. and Mary T. Senter to the trustees of the Broad Street Methodist Episcopal Church Oct. 16, 1900

 

Obtained by the Jefferson Center for Learning & The Arts 1973

Website Design and Development by Zentury Web Design