67 Jefferson Avenue

67jeffA simple brick house typical of the 1880s, later made more imposing by the addition of a classically-inspired porch with paired columns. Windows on the east elevation have incised stone lintels. A bay window that once was the most prominent feature of the house is now nearly hidden by the porch.

 

First surveyed as a portion of Montgomery Township as designated on the first survey of Congress Lands made in May 1799 by John Mathews and Ebenezer Buckingham, United States Surveyors.

 

Sold by the US government authorized by Thomas Jefferson, President, to Seth Harding of New London, Conn. Feb. 20, 1802 in accordance with a Feb. 18, 1801 act of Congress offering grants of land to "refugees from the British Provinces of Canada and Nova Scotia", attested by James Madison, Secretary of State.

 

A complete list of transfers is available; highlights include:

 

Sold by Seth Harding to Bela Badger of Bucks County, Penn. Feb. 16, 1803

 

Sold by William Bambrough to The State of Ohio March 19, 1845 for use as grounds for Ohio's Lunatic Asylum

 

Sold by the State of Ohio authorized by Rutherford B. Hayes, Governor, to William S. Sullivant May 2, 1870

 

Sold by Eddie Thomas Wade Jr. and Cloteel Wade to David Morgan (unmarried) and Sarah Morgan (widowed) Aug. 24, 1956

 

Sold to the Jefferson Center in 1973

Website Design and Development by Zentury Web Design